Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Education and Intelligence

We started school 8/18. Today marked the first day of the second school week. Now that we have a full schedule (all co-op classes included), the days are already longer and patience has already been tried. Overall, everyone is doing well and working hard and learning well. I love the structure of school. We all manage to accomplish so much more with a defined agenda. Summer was fun and lazy, but it is good to get back to reality.

It rained most of the day today, and now the sun is finally out. The rain resulted in a typical problem: Aspen would not do her duty in the rain. Schooling meant little time to devote to a finicky dog. At one point, I just gave up and made her stay outside until she went. Aspen was already wet, so why should she continue to try to avoid getting "wet" by going out into the bushes or yard to do her thing? I figured she should surely realize that if she would just go #2, then she could come in out of the torrential rain.

Dogs don't reason like humans. Aspen did oblige me by adding to the already wet grass. She did not oblige me by taking care of other matters. I let her in. Elle gave Aspen a bath, dried her off and let her loose - all with my blessing. Aspen slept for a while on the girls' bedroom floor while I checked science questions.

A short while later, Aspen's MATTER was quite visibly deposited onto my family room door mat. No surprise there, but I still managed to feel incredulous. Who is less intelligent, the dog or the mom? (And who's homeschooling three kids?)

2 comments:

The Troyer Family said...

You crack me up!!! Sounds like things are going smoothly. I wonder if that is what happens when you put rainy days as (#6 of previous post)one of your favorite things? It sounds as if it is on Aspen's top 10 of things she dislikes???

Ronda said...

Should I take #6 off? Hmmmm.... And by the way, YOU have been tagged. :) Thanks for reading! I'm checking out your blog...